The University of Florence promotes the principles of Open Access as defined in the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities of 2003 (Policy of the University of Florence in support of open access to scientific literature). The Berlin declaration states that Open access contributions include original scientific research results, raw data and metadata, source materials, digital representations of pictorial and graphical materials and scholarly multimedia material, that satisfy two conditions:
- The author(s) and right holder(s) of such contributions grant(s) to all users a free, irrevocable, worldwide, right of access to, and a license to copy, use, distribute, transmit and display the work publicly and to make and distribute derivative works, in any digital medium for any responsible purpose, subject to proper attribution of authorship (community standards, will continue to provide the mechanism for enforcement of proper attribution and responsible use of the published work, as they do now), as well as the right to make small numbers of printed copies for their personal use.
- A complete version of the work and all supplemental materials, including a copy of the permission as stated above, in an appropriate standard electronic format is deposited (and thus published) in at least one online repository using suitable technical standards (such as the Open Archive definitions) that is supported and maintained by an academic institution, scholarly society, government agency, or other well-established organization that seeks to enable open access, unrestricted distribution, inter-operability, and long-term archiving.
Firenze University Press fully supports Open Access publishing as an exceptional tool to share ideas and knowledge in all disciplines with an open, collaborative and non-profit approach. Open Access books and book chapters allow the research community to achieve wide and rapid dissemination in all book formats, as well as a high impact of their research.
All FUP content and metadata are published in Open Access, released under Creative Commons licensees stating the Author as the copyright holder.
- Publication agreement: before the publication, after the acceptance of the manuscript, authors have to sign a Publication Agreement with FUP.
- Copyright: Authors retain copyright of the book published by FUP without the exclusive transfer of rights. Authors grant a non-exclusive license to the publisher to distribute the work, and all users and readers are granted rights to reuse the work under the terms of a Creative Commons license.
- Open Access licensing: all books and chapters are published under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0) by default. The CC-BY 4.0 license allows the unrestricted reuse of contents to maximize the reach and influence of the work, with the requirement being that the author is given attribution. This license allows readers to share any part of the work by any means and format, modify it for any purpose, including commercial, as long as appropriate credit is given to the author, any changes made to the work are indicated and a URL link to the license is provided. Other Creative Commons licenses are available on Authors’ requests.
- Use of third-party material in open access books and chapters: third-party material is only acceptable in an open access book or chapter if the Author is able to secure the necessary terms to enable such content to be made available in an open access form and provides clear captions for all third-party material by clearly acknowledging the source and license terms.
- Metadata licensing: for the public access to its published books’ and chapters’ metadata, FUP waives worldwide its publisher’s rights to the work under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law. It is therefore allowed to copy, modify, distribute and use the work, even for commercial purposes, without asking for any permission. All the metadata are released under the Public Domain Dedication license (CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0)).
- Self-archiving of books and chapters: Firenze University Press is a long term green RoMEO publisher. Authors of book and chapter published by FUP are encouraged to deposit the published version PDF, EPUB and XML in their institutional repository or any suitable subject repository on publication. The institutional repository of the University of Florence is FLORE, for a registry of Open Access repositories see ROAR and OpenDOAR.
- Information for Librarians: FUP supports and encourages research librarians to list its series and books among their library’s electronic resources.
Published by FUP
CC BY 4.0